Thursday, January 15, 2009

Earworms (Songs stuck in your head, not anything gross.)

Okay, for the record, I am terrible at writing about whatever is on my mind, because no matter how far my mind wanders, it usually doesn't approach any subject of interests. 
Recently I've been reading the book Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks. Sacks is a psychologist, and the book recounts the many strange cases of music and the mind that he has experienced throughout his career. One chapter in the book was about earworms, the little songs that get stuck in your head. While for most people they can merely be annoyances, to some with certain conditions they are unbearable. Occasionally, mine are unbearable, because occasionally, like today, I will get several songs stuck in my head at once that do not go together at all. Throughout the course of my day, more songs got stuck in my head until it felt like someone had left several stereos blaring somewhere out of sight. While walking to class this morning, Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue" was steadily going in my head. Around lunch, "Yesterday", a short acoustic ballad by the Beatles, and the theme song from The Office joined in. You can imagine how badly these things mixed. Occasionally, during my final class, Opeth or Porcupine Tree would make a brief appearance. When I got home, I added 3 David Bowie songs to my internal playlist; "Space Oddity," "Life on Mars?," and "Ziggy Stardust." Even as I write this, "Happiness is a Warm Gun" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by the Beatles are joining in. So let's just count the genres here; we have 60's rock, folk, space rock, death metal, 70's glam, and whatever the theme from The Office is, all rolled into one. Makes my head hurt a bit. 

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I hate it when songs get stuck in my head, especially if I know the tune of it but can't think of the words or like you said in your case, when you have multiple songs stuck in your head and none of them go together whatsoever. Course sometimes I like a song stuck in my head, it's nice to be able to remember it so well and sing along with it in my head.

    ReplyDelete