Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wislawa Szymborska

Here is a brief bit of info on the Polish poet Wislawa Szymborska, writer of the poem "True Love," which we read in class.
Wislawa Szymborska was born in the town of Kornik in Poland, and made her first appearance as a poet with "I Am Looking for a Word" (or in her native language, "Szukam Slowa"). From 1953 to 1981 she worked as a poetry editor for a literary publishing in Krakow, Poland. She has published a total of 16 collections of poetry. She won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1996. Her other awards and honors include the Goethe Prize and the Herder Prize. 
The biography I found was very simplistic to say the least. However, I enjoyed her poem in class, so I will take it upon myself to look for a bit more information concerning her background. Any new information I find will be posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment